Monday, March 21, 2011

Sirius (SIRI) Dying? Howard Stern Reducing Work Schedule

In yet another blow to the long-term viability of the business model of Sirius XM Radio (NASDAQ:SIRI), Howard Stern said in an interview with Rolling Stone that the new contract he operates under allows for him to reduce his work schedule, implying it's something he's definitely taking into consideration.

Stern said he could work at “about three shows a week.” Immediate response from some fans of the show and Sirius were of disappointment.

Stern said, ”When it came down to sort of figuring out what I was really after, I was pretty sure I was going to leave the radio…I thought I’d kind of done what I needed to do. I still enjoyed it, but I also found that I wanted time to do some other things. Right now, my schedule is pretty much the same as it’s always been. And then as time rolls on I’ll probably do about three shows a week.”

At that time Sirius will definitely need to generate more more shows and interest to justify their price for its service, as it appears we're entering into another period of high gas prices which cause consumers to take austerity measures which have resulted in cutting back on Sirius' service in the past.

One show less of Howard Stern, for some fans, will be more than enough to cut the service.

Sirius was trading at $1.725, up $0.015, or 0.88 percent, as of 1:31 PM EDT.

No comments: